It has been reported that as thousands of migrants traveling with a caravan which originally departed from Central America approach the United States’ southern border, Defense Secretary James Mattis is to sign an order to send at least 800 military troops to the border to deal with the problem.
The Associated Press tweeted, “BREAKING: AP source: Defense Secretary Mattie expected to sign order to send at least 800 troops to US-Mexico border.”
BREAKING: AP source: Defense Secretary Mattis expected to sign order to send at least 800 troops to US-Mexico border.
— The Associated Press (@AP) October 25, 2018
It is expected that the troops will aid Border Patrol agents to bring a stop to the caravan of migrants, so that they do not cross into the country illegally.
CNN reported that officials have explained that details are not clear, and it is unknown if troops will be on active duty or will be “federally activated National Guard troops.”
Western Journal writes:
The troops are not supposed to use any type of lethal force to stop the migrants, according to CNN; rather they are to be used to “provide fencing, wall materials, and other technical support.”
The troops may defend themselves if attacked, but officials say it’s the Border Patrol agents who are tasked with physically stopping any type of illegal immigration.
In addition, the troops sent by Mattis are expected to provide medical care and tents to the Border Patrol agents stationed in the area.
This news comes after President Trump made it very clear that we will take whatever action necessary to stop the caravan.
On Thursday, the President tweeted, “Brandon Judd of the National Border Patrol Council is right when he says on @foxandfriends that the Democrat inspired laws make it though for us to stop people at the Border. MUST BE CHANGED, but I am bringing out the military for this National Emergency. They will be stopped!”
Brandon Judd of the National Border Patrol Council is right when he says on @foxandfriends that the Democrat inspired laws make it tough for us to stop people at the Border. MUST BE CHANDED, but I am bringing out the military for this National Emergency. They will be stopped!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 25, 2018
The President also sent out a tweet last Thursday, in which he stated that he would ask Mexico to stop this “onslaught” and “call up the U.S. Military and CLOSE OUR SOUTHERN BORDER!”
….In addition to stopping all payments to these countries, which seem to have almost no control over their population, I must, in the strongest of terms, ask Mexico to stop this onslaught – and if unable to do so I will call up the U.S. Military and CLOSE OUR SOUTHERN BORDER!..
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 18, 2018
The caravan originated from Honduras with around 160 migrants on October 12. Since then, it has grown to thousands of migrants, their origins unknown.
The United Nations has claimed that the number of migrants traveling with the caravan is somewhere around 7,000, however some reports have claimed it to be as high as double that.
It is expected that Mattis will send the military troops to the border by next week.